The Girl Education Program Officer will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of Room to Read’s Girls Education Program (GEP), including planning, implementing and monitoring and quality assurance of the program both at the Country Office and at the field level. The incumbent will be constantly engaged in working to improve the Girls Education Program in all working district (Bagamoyo and Kibaha) ensuring that Girls Education Program is effectively and timely implemented. This position requires skills in Project Management, Training and facilitation, alternative education program, Life Skills, Networking, Budgeting, and Supervising. The Program Officer will directly report to the Field Operations Manager and will supervise Social Mobilizers. This position will be based in Kibaha Field Office.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Organize and oversee the complete process of setting up Room to Read Girls Education Program (Girls Education Program).
Collaborate with other Room to
• Read Tanzania Girls Education Program staff to update the Operational Plan on an annual basis along with the budgeting for the coming year.
• Lead the Annual Planning and Budgeting (AP&B) process for the Girls’ Education Program operations. “Identify, engage and assess schools interested in Girls Education Program and formulate strategies for implementation Schedule and conduct regular one on one meetings, mid-year performance review and annual performance review to monitor the girls’ progress and address issues as they arise.
• Train and supervise Girls Education Program field based committees and social mobilizers to ensure that they are able to support the girls and complete their roles effectively.
• Visit project schools as needed to supervise program activities at the sites and organize discussions with school management teams and local authorities.
• Gather feedback and ensure that schools and communities deliver on their portion of the challenge grant and on all terms of agreement with Room to Read.
• Complete detailed and accurate written reports in a timely manner to Regional and Global Offices as required. Participate in any other activities, which may be required to be undertaken to fulfill the objectives of the organ
• Establish and manage relationships with other NGOs, government officials and local educational facilities/ authorities; schedule and attend meetings with them to coordinate planning and implementation of projects.
• Develop and facilitate capacity building training for Social Mobilizers (SMs), NGOs, Partners representatives, team members, girls, parents and the community at large. Represent Room to Read at relevant meetings.
• Provide regular updates on program activities and plans at regular meetings with Tanzania Country Office manage merit staff
• Document best practices and lessons learned during field work and share with other project sites, relevant local staff, the Country Director and appropriate Regional and United States based Global
• Collect data and conduct data entry into the .Global
• Solution Database system
• Participate in developing Quarter and Annual report on timely basis
• Develop and submit Monthly/Quarterly Cash forecast on timely basis
• On monthly basis, develop Field staff fund request and submit expense reports on their behalf
• Support Girls Education Program Manager” on development/ review of new content modules – contextualization
Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor Degree in Sociology, Gender, psychology, humanity or any other Social Sciences degree
• Certification in life skills training is an added advantage
• 3-5 years’ experience in girls education field
• Strong coaching, mentoring and training and presentation skills
• Experience working with NGOs
• Effective English communication skills (oral and written) and capability to relate and interact with multicultural teams and represent the organization in professional forums
• Willingness to work with strict deadlines
• Ability to conduct training as a trainer
• Ability to travel frequently, occasionally on short notice, and, when required, for extended periods of time Supervisory experience.
Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people
• Effectiveness in working or volunteering in a non-profit organization that is focused on maintaining high quality work and low overhead
• Prior experience in a fast-paced, growth-oriented global or regional organization
• Proven track record of achieving results
• Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously and take initiatives.
• Report writing experience
• To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
• Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact an up-and-coming non-profit organization
• Be an innovative and creative thinker; you’re not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so
• Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
• Work well independently as well as part of a team
• Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. The benefits include: i) Provident Fund, ii) 13th Month Bonus, iii) Discretionary Performance Bonus, v) Health coverage including spouse and children, vi) Insurances, vii) Professional Development opportunities. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing transforming the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education.
Please send a cover letter and “resume by email, with Girls Education Program Officer in the subject line through APPLY below or send by post to
Room to Read Tanzania,
Post Box 105459,
Plot No 36,
Dar es Salaam,