To coordinate implementation of Chapter 19 of the Treaty establishing the East African Community, develop and ensure implementation of relevant projects and programmes, and Co-ordinate harmonization of relevant policies, regulations and legislation in Environment and Natural Resources
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Develop programmes for Conservation and management of Trans-boundary Ecosystems;
2. Co-ordinate the development of the Integrated Water Resources Management Strategy and action plan; and initiate a study on the establishment of Water Resources Institute;
3. Finalize the harmonization of mineral resources development and management policies;
4. Coordinate the implementation of the EAC Climate Change Policy, strategy and Master Plan and the operationalization of the EAC Climate Change Fund;
5. Coordinate the Implementation of the EAC Framework for joint implementation of; and participation in Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs);
6. Coordinate the implementation of the EAC Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Strategy and the Sendai Framework on DRR;
7. Coordinate the operationalization of the EAC DRR Bill including the establishment of the EAC DRR Unit;
8. Coordinate the implementation of the EAC Post Rio plus 20 Plan of Action;
9. Coordinate the implementation of the EAC plan of Action of the Nairobi Agreement on Air Pollution;
10. Coordinate the finalization of a Regional Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan and the establishment of an EAC Gene bank;
11. Coordinate the Operationalization of the EAC Biopama Observatory
12. Promote joint research in identified centers of excellence in Environmental and Natural Resources Management;
13. Coordinate the implementation of the EAC Regional Biosafety Policy Framework;
14. Coordinate the Implementation of the EAC Strategy to combat poaching and illegal trade in wildlife products;
15. Implement decisions of Organs of the Community relevant to the sector and prepare progress and annual reports; and
16. Perform any other duties as may be assigned by Management.
Qualifications and Experience:
1. An Advanced Degree (MSc, PhD) in Earth Sciences, life Sciences or related field;
2. Specialized trainings in Environmental and/or Natural Resources Management is desirable;
3. 10 years of experience in Environment and Natural Resources Policies and Programmes with at least 5 years at senior level;
4. Experience in Multilateral Environmental Agreements, and
5. Working Experience with regional Organizations will be an added advantage
Skills and Competencies:
Analytical skills, computer skills, communication skills, interpersonal skills, numerical skills, presentation skills, research skills, planning skills, monitoring skills, evaluation skills, project implementation skills; and the ability to identify and relate to other disciplines and diverse external clients and Partners.
Education Qualifications and Relevant Working Experience:
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective countries.
This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training, apprenticeship and clerkship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
Considering the current status of quota points per Partner State under East African Community Secretariat, only Applicants from the Republics of Burundi, Rwanda, Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania are eligible to apply.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
This position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once and is subject to the application of the EAC Quota System.
This position offers attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three referees, and copy of National Identity Card, or Birth Certificate or Passport showing date of birth.
Please quote the respective reference number on both on the application letter and envelope. For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 8th July 2016.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates ; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process.
All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
Executive Selection Division
Deloitte Consulting Limited
10th Floor PPF Tower
Cnr of Ohio Street & Garden Avenue:
P O Box 1559 Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania
Fax +255(22) 2116379
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org www.deloitte.com