Tanzania Tusome Pamoja “Let’s Read Together”
RTI International is accepting applications from qualified candidates for the position of Senior Reading Specialist to work with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded Tusome Pamoja Program (2016- 2021) in Tanzania. The 5-year program works to assist the Ministry of Education to replicate and scale up reading, writing and arithmetic improvement interventions in schools with an emphasis on curriculum and materials development for Grades 1-4 in Swahili and English. On behalf of the USAID/Tanzania, RTI works with regional, district, and ward personnel to implement reading, writing, and arithmetic reforms in four mainland regions of the country and Zanzibar, with support given to approximately 3000 public primary schools in the selected regions. Additionally, Tusome Pamoja implements activities to engage communities and parents to further the goals of improved student learning outcomes.
The Senior Reading Specialist will provide technical oversight and guidance to support improved reading instruction and learning. S/he will supervise the development and delivery of Tusome Pamoja-supported reading materials including pupil books and teachers’ materials, teacher professional development in reading, and teacher classroom support and monitoring. S/he will monitor the fidelity of implementation of the activities in reading across the project regions, liaise with government representatives and stakeholder experts on technical matters, and together with the senior management of Tusome Pamoja, ensure that children in project schools achieve improved outcomes in reading. The Senior Reading Specialist will serve as the technical counterpart for the Tanzania Institute of Education (TIE) and the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (MoEST) in Mainland Tanzania and the Ministry of Education and Vocational Education (MoEVT) in Zanzibar and non-ministry stakeholders in the development and adaptation of appropriate teaching and learning materials, including structured teacher materials. S/he will supervise and manage the technical inputs of project staff, subcontractors and consultants, as well as short term technical assistance. S/he will develop new and strengthen existing partnerships with education institutions that can contribute to the creation and delivery of teacher professional development.
· Master’s Degree in education, preferably with a specialty in literacy or early childhood education. A Ph.D. in education with a focus on literacy or early childhood education is preferred.
· At least 12 years of experience in programs in sub-Saharan Africa that work to improve early grade reading is required.
· Prior experience with the development of early grade reading materials, training programs, classroom monitoring protocols, and tests and assessments, is required: experience with the Early Grade Reading Assessment (EGRA).
· Prior experience serving in a technical leadership capacity on USAID-funded projects preferred.
· Proven ability to lead, manage, and motivate personnel.
· Excellent communication skills and ability (verbal and written).
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability.
· Must be professionally proficient and fluent in written and spoken English. It is preferred, but not required, that the candidate be conversant and fluent in written and spoken Kiswahili.
To Apply: Qualified candidates are invited to apply at http://m.rfer.us/RTIng429E. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. RTI is proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.