Position titleLaboratory Technologist (Technician)Position gradeG4Duty stationKasulu/Makere, United Republic of TanzaniaDurations9 Months with possibility of extensionPosition numberTo be createdJob familyMHDOrganizational unitMHD UnitReports directly toChief Migration Health OfficerOverall Supervised byChief of MissionII. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE Under the direct supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) the incumbent will be responsible for technical support to laboratory services with respect to Migration Health Assessments (HAP) and other programmes implemented by the IOM Migration Health Division in country Kasulu, TanzaniaIII.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
1. Perform laboratory procedures as assigned by the laboratory supervisor for pre- examination, examination, and post-examination activities through the use of the standard relevant equipment.
2. Ensure standards and the quality of laboratory procedures by strictly following the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
3. Adhere to biosafety measures adopted in the laboratory, minding the safety of oneself and others.
4. Organize and operate activities on assigned station for accurate, efficient, and timely delivery of results.
5. Perform quality control activities for assigned stations and document results as required.
6. Facilitate in maintenance of laboratory equipment in good working order and operate equipment appropriately following SOPs.
7. Facilitate in laboratory stock management and monitor that the equipment and consumables are sufficient for the anticipated work.
8. Facilitate to maintenance of established system of organized record keeping and information management for timely delivery of results, data collection, analysis and reporting for laboratory monitoring and facilitation to operational research.
9. Participate in the development and updating of SOPs as needed.
10. Participate in the improvement of the service system according to adopted work plan in the laboratory.
11. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
IV. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Completed Bachelor’s degree or Diploma from an accredited academic institution in Medical (Clinical) Laboratory Sciences, Microbiology or a related discipline.
· At least two years of relevant laboratory experience in a busy institution, preferably in a laboratory.
· Relevant technical knowledge and practices to personnel and laboratory operations.
· Computer literate with understanding of accurate data collection and analysis for monitoring and continuous improvement of laboratory services and performance; and,
· Good awareness of the laboratory role in health systems, optimal use of resources for quality and efficient services delivery.
· Phlebotomy experience required, and should be conversant in biological specimen collection, storing and packaging and transporting.
· Experience in TB culture laboratory an advantage.
Fluency in English and Kiswahili are required. Good command of written and spoken English
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
· Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
· Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
· Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
· Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
· Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
· Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
· Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
· Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
1 Competencies and respective levels should be drawn from the Competency Framework of the Organization.
· Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
· Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation; and,
· Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions.
This position is open to Tanzanian nationals only. All application documents will be handled in accordance with IOM data protection policy. The selected candidate is required to commence the assignment as soon as the recruitment process completes.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
1ST LEVEL SUPERVISOR DATE
2ND LEVEL SUPERVISOR DATE
STAFF MEMBER DATE
Method of Application
Interested candidates should fill in the PH form, submit CV’s and cover letter indicating Vacancy Notice number with 3 professional references and contacts to email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The vacancy is opened for both Internal and External Candidates.